Sunday, March 06, 2016

Well, on to other things.

I resigned from coaching basketball.

At this point I’m not going to get too long winded about why because a lot about basketball is still clouded with vitriol from particular people and situations that surround high school sports.  I’d be ranting like a crazy person and that’s something for much later on when I have time to edit.

It’s really not a sad moment.  It’s been years in the making and to be totally honest I’m a different person now than I was years ago.  I love teaching and I love adventures with my wife, and I really love the fact that I acted on doing something about both those things before ignoring those impulses became damaging. 

It was great working with kids and coaching a competitive athletic sport.  People will never completely understanding teaching until they do it and those condemn it as something other than teaching are fools.  Kids are the easy part of coaching because they want to be there and they soak up good teaching like a sponge.

But this is about the best use of human capital for myself.  Teaching is a marathon in which I probably have at least twenty more years.  I’ve spent the entirety of every Winter holiday and at least half of the Summers engaged in basketball since 1988.  That wasn’t a bad thing then but now I have other things that fill my soul.

Onward! 

blog comments powered by Disqus