Saturday, September 12, 2015

Week gets hot, makes me wish I lived in Montana.

Damn it’s hot.  Like your typical Northern California in September hot.  Like triple digits easy hot.

Meanwhile..

That’s Upper Grinnell Lake and Grinnell Glacier in Glacier National Park.  That was this past weekend. 

IMG_1091

That was taken by me a little more than a month ago.  Not gonna lie, I miss the hell out of Glacier.

*****

I play music every day, every class as they mosey on in to start the period.  I was shocked at how positive the reaction was to C & C Music Factory “Gonna Make You Sweat”.  Occasionally this happens; music that we think has been dead and buried in the psyche of American youth makes a small resurgence of viability.  There are the usual stalwarts of music that gather attention (The Beatles, Rolling Stones, Fleetwood Mac, Tom Petty) but C & C Music Factory?  Go figure. 

*****

Thursday was Club’s Day.  The idea is that the different clubs take over the quad and hock there wares and food for exposure and income.  It’s a fairly popular beginning of the year tradition that is a favorite of mine because of one thing; the food.  A diverse high school that includes nearly half Hispanic students and a significant Native American population means that I walked back into my classroom with a cold cup of horchata and a fantastic Navajo Taco.  And I mean they make the fry bread right in front of you and it is still warm Navajo Taco.  Better still, some of the Native students are in my class and on the basketball, thus they hook a brotha up. 

*****

I still stop what I’m doing on September 11 of each year and do a whole short discussion about the event.  We watch many of the videos of the day and those that came out afterwards.  We watched some of the video from the Naudet brothers’ documentary, the crashes into the buildings, the collapse, the work on The Pile, and the scenes of the debris field rushing through the streets of Manhattan.  We talk about the history behind the attacks, the planning, and the results of that have culminated into a post-9/11 world.  It’s important to remember that my Seniors were 3 or 4 years old when the event happened, so they have little to go on even though society seems to expect them know.

*****

From my JV Football announcers perch:

IMG_1232

When people see smoke in these parts people get concerned.  Very concerned.  Luckily the bombers hit the fire pretty quick and it was doused without incident.  But trust me, we were all looking that direction to see if there was a larger smoke plume or some signal on rate of travel.  And we still have a good month left in fire season.

blog comments powered by Disqus