Saturday, September 26, 2015

The week that can only be reached by cell phone

Hey guess what?  We are a quarter of the way through the semester!  That’s right!  Cinch notices went out this week and that means we are going to get some of those students wondering were grades are at….when they aren’t thinking about Homecoming.

*****

Oh yeah, and Homecoming is this week.  It’s been less invasive than past years, mainly because it looks like some students are realizing that it provides limited benefit for the time people deal with it.  I’ve heard a lot of the “the popular kids” take over the situation from students, and that ends up turning off a lot of people.  Normally those popular people also have parents with money and that money often comes with strings, and that leaves the opinion of others on the margin. 

*****

The item of the week is the cell phone.  I have a policy that is simple and to the point; if it’s out when it’s not supposed to be out I take it for 24 hours or until the student’s parent comes and picks it up, whichever comes first.  I’ve dealt with about a dozen phones so far this year but this week was the real tester.  Four phones this week, three had parents actually come to my classroom to pick them up.  Mind you these are Seniors in high school.  About 70% of parent interactions when this happens are very positive.  The other 30% are angry but it seems more geared towards the student.  After this week I’m guessing phone use is probably going to drop a lot because the message has started to travel.

*****

Fall Basketball started this week and means late evenings twice a week.  It also means that I get to bed quite a bit later and have a better chance of being tired during the school day.  I was a tad flat at the beginning of 2nd period on Tuesday when a student came in an said “Brown, where’s the energy?  This is my favorite class because of the energy!”  That helped but it will take me a week to adjust.

*****

Speaking of Fall basketball….over 30 kids!  That’s a fantastic improvement over the last five or six years when we barely have had enough players to field a team.  It looks like the older kids are raring to go and a large group of young basketball lovers is heading into the high school.  Hoop life is good!

blog comments powered by Disqus