Saturday, August 29, 2015

Week One done.

Believe it or not about 70% of stress this week was on basketball. 

Seriously.

*****

My classes are good.  I mean really, really good.  Maybe not academically good, maybe not always focused good.  But the potential for liveliness is everywhere and that is where the real learning occurs.  Are there going to be problems?  Of course silly, this is teaching!  But I’m watching some serious positive things happen in my classroom and I need to seriously tap into that energy.

*****

On Friday of last week, right before the start of school, I switched over from Edmodo to Google Classroom.  I did it for two reasons.  One, the school is now on Google Education Apps and many teachers have drifted to Google Classroom.  Might as well streamline for the kids.  The second reason is that Google seems to be fairly up on creating and actually implementing new ideas, and that’s a plus for teachers like me.  First impression; too early to tell.  Edmodo’s library function alone makes it better than Google at this point but I’m still on a serious learning curve with the G-Classroom.  It might take some time.

*****

I’ve had presentations turned in online before but not a standard written paper to be graded and returned via Google Classroom.  My first impression; online grading sucks.  It’s slower, period.  It might be environmentally friendly, and it might be nice to have those clear comments sections but online grading (in my opinion) takes twice as long.  Not good.

*****

By the way, I noticed that when you enter a district Google email into any app in your phone it pretty much becomes the default Google account on your phone.  This means that my district has spent the week having access to what I access on sights like Google+ (nothing), Youtube (the Star Wars Instagram trailer, videos about Grizzly Bears, something about BBQing a brisket), and Google maps (planning next summers trip, quickest route from the downtown Santa Rosa mall to Costco).  I have a problem when work becomes that invasive so my school Google accounts are gone from my phone.  No, I’m not grading any online Google classroom work from my phone or iPad. 

*****

Working at school on Sunday because why not. 

blog comments powered by Disqus