Wednesday, August 05, 2015

Mr. Silva-Brown’s Report Card, Part Two: “What recommendations would you give Mr. Silva-Brown”, 2015 edition

Here are all my recommendations, live and uncut, from my students. I'm leaving none out, however some students did not fill out every category, which is why the numbers will not be the same. My comments are in italics.

-Lighten up. Take it easy.  It’s good for you.

-Get grades out sooner so people can stay on top of them, and create a comfortable environment for students that haven’t had you before. (I have a reputation of being a hard ass.  This intimidates some students but most evolve and thrive when they get that class is fun, and that the rules are fairly simple.  This year there were some that just resisted everything.)

-Be a kind person.

-Not everyone cares about basketball. (Interesting.  I intentionally stay away from a lot of basketball conversation because I hate the Coach/Social Studies stigma)

-Prefer that you lecture on new material, not review material we already read.  Want reading to reinforce what we learn, not other way around.  (This was from a high level student and I’m still working with which way is more effective.)

-Don’t cram so much on a test, grade things quicker, don’t lose shit, don’t bore us with notes.

-Honest to God (not trying to be a kiss ass) I think you are a great teacher and an understanding teacher.  But if you could updates grades more often and with faster make-ups it would be nice.

-Listen to Mexican music!  (I’m trying to branch out and add some Mexican music to my playlist but can’t find something catchy.)

-Realize that people have lives outside of this class and be more accommodating.  (Big time theme of the year that I’ll address in Part 4)

-Be nicer.

-None

-Treat good students as good students and respect them because they attempt to respect you.

-Please give the last countries more coverage.  We spent nearly a month on the UK but only about a week on Mexico.  How about equal time on countries?  And more Politica, seriously.  (Politica is my post-AP project.  Students usually love it. The country issue is totally valid.  We started the year a week later and I totally bungled the amount of time for the countries, and Mexico is usually last.  That was a big boo-boo for me.)

-Spend more time on Mexico.

-Maybe don’t be so specific on quiz questions because sometimes there we details I truly could not remember.

-Please space out the AP6 countries better.  Felt like we had little time to study Iran, Nigeria, Mexico.

-Better organization on quizzes.  Better review on news.  Clearer schedule for end of the year.

-Finish Comp Gov earlier for a week of review. Make Econ bigger/faster/stronger/deeper.  AP kids can handle it. 

-Be less strict on tardiness, don’t teach a country during AP test week, grade faster, actually answer kids questions.

-Be nicer please

-You are beautiful the way are and don’t need recommendations.

-Stay you and keep Edmodo!

-You could grade quicker.

-It would have been nice to have known my grade.  It actually came to me as a surprise, and not the good kind.

-If the majority of the class gets a low grade on a quiz, cover the topic a little more.

-Please enter make-up work earlier.  It makes it easier to figure out our actual grade. (Make-up work is the bane of my existence.  I hate it.)

-I don’t have any.

-Learn how to shoot.

-Be a little more serious at times and don’t make things a joke.

-New shoes

-Make first semester more interesting

-Less notes and more hands on

-I think you are doing a good job.

-Don’t wear clashing tie-shirt combos.  Just don’t.  Otherwise you’re pretty alright, kid.

-Include different genres in music but otherwise I enjoyed the class.

-Include country music

-Watch Brother Bear

-Watch Brother Bear (That’s not a typo.  A group of Disney crazed students insisted that I watch a movie called Brother Bear.  I told them I would do it if they watched Pulp Fiction.  We have yet to break the stalemate.)

-I recommend not being so sexy all the time.

-Maybe not so tuff, a little softer.

-Learn to dress better, get new shoes, no ugly ties, stop stealing other people’s water bottle.

-Wish you wouldn’t let students talk as much or let students talk smack about you.  It was sometimes fun but sometimes annoying and got a little crazy.

-Remember my name when I visit or you will have to buy me another milkshake. (For some reason my mind was having trouble around the name Raquel.  I kept saying Rachel.  So I made the deal that for every time I called the student Rachel I would buy her a milkshake.  My wallet is now lighter.)

-Update Edline more often (grades).

-Wear less clothes, like maybe shorts and a tank top.

-Try and connect more with the students.

-You’re doing fine.

-Can’t think of any.

-None, keep it up.

-Start showing more soccer news stories.

-Less lecture and notes and more hands-on.

-make a better way to give out information about future quizzes and assignments

-Be nice.

-Your quizzes are hard but if I devoted more time to studying, I could have helped myself.

-Accommodate to busier schedules

-Maybe less quizzes.  People who do poorly on them die.  And random two-day group projects aren’t great.

-More independent presentations.

-Put in grades earlier.

-Please answer questions properly, especially before a quiz or a test.

-Don’t be devil’s advocate all the time. I would have appreciated human-to-human honesty.  Fix slideshows!

-Sign stuff for people so they don’t hate you.  You signed stuff for me, so I don’t hate you.

-Be faster on grading and feedback.  Give a little more homework in order to keep students involved.

-Don’t be a meany and don’t wear a print tie with a print shirt.

-Spend more time being organized and updating grades.  Time management is sometimes lacking.  Group projects are not fun or beneficial.

-Warn kids that Econ is not a part of the AP test, and that the AP portion is immensely harder.   Non-AP students need to get out while they can!

-Same as always;  grades, grades, grades.

-grade papers promptly.

-You do you. The class is well structured and enjoyable.

-Consider time management.  Maybe a calendar.  Also consider priorities.  Grading > cats.

-Make projects and Per Se Courts more obvious.

-Nothing

-Lecture before quizzes

-Stay cool

-None

-None, keep doing what you are doing.

-Everything you did this year was good.

-Nothing, you are perfect.  Except let students eat in class.

-Hand things to people.

-Mention Edmodo more often

-Don’t hit the table with a stick.

-Let students eat food in class.

-None

-Remember that although we do always have a choice, we might chose wrong and you can’t always be mad about it.  I missed school because the benefit of not being there was worth it.

-Getting new shoes and not being so harsh

-Keep doing you.  I really enjoyed this class and having you a picture.

-Watch more Kyrie highlights.

-Stay cool.

-Try and update grades more frequently.

-When I’m sleepy don’t wack my desk with a stick. It’s rude.  I mean, I don’t wake you up.

-Give practice quizzes a few days before every real quiz.

-There were times that seemed like torture by Power Point.  So less of that.

-Keep on doing what you’re doing.  I looked forward to this class, had a good time, and learned a lot.

-Lower your voice.  It doesn’t allow me to sleep second period.

-I would have like assigned homework because I learn better with homework.

-Country music.

-Keep as is

-You know what you are doing

-Please get new shoes

-Nothing honestly.  It’s all great.

-Don’t be so intimidating.  Students are scared of you. But I think you are super cool.

-You’re a little intimidating, which I’m sure you enjoy.  But you’ve done a great job as a teacher.

And there you have it.

blog comments powered by Disqus