Monday, May 25, 2015

The Week that Was: The Dress Code Edition

That one is an inside joke for students that read this blog.  I've decided that the first thing I'm doing on Monday morning is writing DRESS CODE in huge letters on my board and pontificating about it for an hour.  Just because.

*****

Substitute teaching is difficult.  You wander into a new school and you are totally at the mercy of the classroom management of the teacher.  If the teacher has bad management the students are going to be a nightmare to handle.  If the teacher has good management and a plan, the class is often a breeze. 
I've seen both.  I've been in classrooms with no plans and the teacher had no control over what was going on (back in 2000 before I was in Ukiah), which made for a very interesting hour class.  I learned quickly that one the greatest things a sub could have is a trivia book and a large bag of mini-chocolates.  I've had one real problem with a sub.  It was many years ago and I'm still convinced that it was a student and a teacher with big egos and too much testosterone.  I leave very detailed lesson plans, and 90% of the time those lessons are copied for the students on Edmodo and the work is self-driven.  My class should be a breeze to sub.  

I can't get into details except to say that I started getting massive amounts of texts fifteen minutes into class Thursday morning.  Thankfully I have a fantastically responsive administration and a very patient and mature group of students because the situation could have been U.G.L.Y.  Look subs, follow the lesson plan.  Follow it.  Follow it.  Follow it.  Don't sweat the small stuff; it's not worth the aggravation.  If there is no lesson plan then tell the personnel officer at the school because either that teacher had a serious emergency or is a real jackass.  And bring a trivia book.  A few of them.  With knowledge groupings from 7th grade to 10th grade.  And lots and lots of chocolate.

*****

Speaking of which I did take two days off school to attend my Grandmother's 95th birthday.  I don't take many days off during the school year, mostly because I actually enjoy doing my job.  I rarely get sick (this year I was the only one on my basketball team that did not), though I might stay home to take care of my wife if she's really ill or has a significant injury.  Grandma's 95th is legit.  So I'm in Ashland, Oregon right now.

*****

So the usual $85 Best Western room in Ashland was $250 a night for the Memorial Day weekend.  Ouch.  La Quinta was $140 a night.  So we went a new route; VRBO.  How is it?  Well I'm sitting on a deck of a large studio next to a house overlooking rolling hills of oak trees and deer.  Emigrant Lake is a ten minute walk.  $89 a night.  I'd call it a win.

*****


Maybe just a wee bit. 
blog comments powered by Disqus