Wednesday, July 02, 2014

Mr. Silva-Brown’s Report Card, Part Two: “What recommendations would you give Mr. Silva-Brown”, 2014 edition

Here are all my recommendations, live and uncut, from my students. I'm leaving none out, however some students did not fill out every category, which is why the numbers will not be the same. My comments are in italics.

-Try and make quiet, non-active people active. Print out practice packets and have people do it if you cannot spend a couple of days practicing for the AP test.

-From a sincere perspective, I honestly believe you are teaching in a flawless manner. You have taught me life lessons that I will forever keep in my heart.

-I think you do a great job but more Per Se Courts would be nice. (Once again Per Se Courts were massively popular.  I think I need to expand it to one every ten days in AP, maybe one every three weeks in College Prep)

-Nothing really.  This was one of my favorite classes.

-Have a better last round.  (This is in reference to Politica, my post AP test activity.  I changed the last round to be more collaborative than confrontational, and it was met with irritation.)

-Would have been helpful to learn more about how to write AP FRQs with specific examples.  This was done but I’d like more of it.

-More practice FRQs.

-Keeping up on grading is key. That’s the only thing besides lowballing us. (Running joke in one of my Comp Gov classes was that I “low balled” students that gave questionable answers.)

-Keep doing your thing, dog.  You’re a hell of a teacher.

-Don’t call a girl an umpa lumpa, even if she is orange.

-Stop giving TAs a hard time when they are handing out passes. (I hassle the hell out of office TA’s that bring in passes.  It starts out with a simple “hi” and the reaction from there determines the amount of terror I’ll inflict on them. Those that are kind and professional get the love. Those that act like I’m not cool for school face the full power of my snark.  Classes get a kick out of it.)

-Keep it up!

-Stop insulting the poor, innocent peoples of Ukiah High School, and let us eat in class because a growing kid needs food.

-Keep doing what you’re doing!

-I have no recommendation.

-Keep up the good work.

-Nothing really.  I think you’re a great teacher.

-Less depressing news.

-Bring us donuts.

-Don’t have any.

-Pronounce my name correctly. 

-To not be as tough.

-Nothing.  You’re a great teacher.

-Update grades on time or regularly.

-Be a sports commentator instead.  Your voice is more suited for that job.

-Listen to country music.

-Stop hating brown Mexicans!  (Another running joke in my Comp Gov class was that there was a difference between light Mexicans and “real” Mexicans.  BTW, this comment was made by a girl who called herself my Mexican daughter.

-Nothing. Maybe be careful of some students. Some can be sensitive every now and then to your harsh sarcasm.

-Make your own rules for Politica instead of folling some else’s rules.

-Rethink Politica with some minor changes to allow for some wiggle room as opposed to only zero sum games all the time.

-Do more Per Se Courts.  At least 3 times a month.

-Be quieter.

-“All Too Well” – Taylor Swift

-Per Se Courts aren’t always fairly judged.  People sometimes allowed their friends to win and I didn’t fine that fair, although I did find the info valuable.

-Be yourself like you were and everyone will have fun.

-Stop procrastinating on grading assignments and tests.

-If you wish to get along better with sensitive students, admit your sensitive side more.  But I assume you know that and I don’t mind.

-I can’t think of much except be a little more nicer to office TAs.

-Chill out with hitting of the desks with the large stick.

-A bit too sass for professional setting, stop hitting desks with your stick, make ur trash slam dunks.

-Stay awesome

-Be nicer.

-Stay based.

-Stop being so handsome.

-Be nicer to the TAs.

-More accurate and updates on Edmodo.

-None

-Update grades.

-Give more opportunities or make opportunities more clear for students to make up work who are looking for second chances.

-Keep it classy.

-Fewer quizzes.

-More review worksheets before a test.

-Update grades.

-Lay off some of the harsher jokes.

-More group quizzes. And I wanted to do a stock project.  We learned nothing about stocks.  (We did do a small look at stocks but the focus on a serious project is gone. I instead do a unit on financial literacy that is much more important.)

-Go over tests before and after.  Make practice test for Finals or something like a homework sheet for us to study at home.

-Grade fairer

-Keep your great sense of humor in the classroom.

-Don’t make people cry so much.

-Control yourself when it comes to the stick.

-Don’t rely on students to check the Internet for days they missed or tests not taken.  There are excuses for missing assignments.  (It’s not my grade and if you can’t be accountable for your own grade, that’s on you.  Excuses aren’t the issue. You not following through is.)

-Be nicer to people giving passes.

-More updated grade book on Edline would be nice to make up quizzes.  Also, having a weekly make up day at lunch would work better for planning purposes of busy Seniors.

-Do more of the Math part of Econ.  And more looks at the Stock Market.

-Your grading system drives me crazy.

-Keep it up.

-You did good.

-Update Edline so we don’t go crazy!  And return tests/assignments early.

-Update grades more often.

-Keep grades up to date.

-Can’t think of any.

-Keep it real.

-Be more efficient with grades for APUSH.

-None.

-I can’t think of any.

-A bit more on top of grading and specific info.

-None.

-Probably invest in Bitcoin, maybe some morality.

-Updating grades more often.

-Grades, grades, grades.  Keep up!

-An easier way to take notes. There weren’t many that could write and study.

-No.

-Don’t wait so long to enter grades and update them.

-Keep on track a bit more with the lesson plan.

-None come to mind.

-Stay funny but be nicer.  Sometimes you come off a little mean.

-Don’t show Persepolis and have more FRQ practice.

-Grading faster if possible.

-Update grades more often.

-To get all the quizzes in.

-Less quizzes.

-Grade more stuff.

-Maybe not target individual students.

-More essays.

-Tease everyone.

-Assign more essays and quizzes and grade promptly. Update Edline more than once a month.

-Don’t make fun of short people.

-Spend more time working on the grading system and making it more available to students.  More essay practice.

-Grade papers and post online.

-Be nice.

-Greater clarity on grades and make-up opportunities. 

-I have none. I feel you did a good job.

-I don’t think it’s necessary to give recommendations because Silva-Brown does not treat his students with respect so I don’t’ think my opinions would be valued.  (I’ll deal with this comment in the analysis.)

And there you have it.

blog comments powered by Disqus