Sunday, June 29, 2014

Mr. Silva-Brown’s Report Card, Part One: “Ratings Game”, 2014 edition

I present to you, part one of a four part series that looks at the "graded" Mr. Silva-Brown. At the end of each year I give out a report card with questions about my performance during the year.

The questions are:

-One a scale of 1 to 10 (10 being excellent), rate Mr. Silva-Brown's teaching this semester.

-Was I well organized?

-Did you understand what was going on?

-Do you think I have improved since September?

-Did you feel safe?

-Were students treated equally with respect?

-Describe your overall experience in the class

-What did I do well?

-What recommendations can you give Mr. Silva-Brown?

-Give one piece of advice for next years students.

Today, I'll give you the numbers rating. The rating is first, followed by how many students rated me at that level.  .

Here are the results:

Ten- 48 

Nine- 33

Eight- 28

Seven- 7

Five- 1

No Rating Given- 4   

My average is an 9.0, an A-. This is the highest grade I have ever received.  Here are the contrasts from past years.

2005-06: 8.3

2006-07: 8.9

2007-08: 8.3

2008-09: 8.7

2009-10: 8.2

2010-2011: 8.5

2011-2012: 8.5

2012-2013: 8.8

Out of the four evaluations that had no number rating, three were positive and one was negative.  They were not calculated into the above formula.  The one negative gave many of the standard complaints that a student makes when they miss a lot of class, and then added in that I discriminated against women because I enforced the dress code.  Six of the seven “7” ratings came from one class (AP U.S. History).  It was probably well deserved, as I will discuss in posts later this week.         

blog comments powered by Disqus