Sunday, September 08, 2013

Blurred Lines, the most heinous thing on the Internet

I really tried to write that title with a straight face and I’m not pulling it off very well.  It’s one part Emily Ratajkowski, whose mere presence on my screen makes it very difficult to concentrate on anything.  The second part is the absurdity around the idea that the video is anything other than a goof on sex. 

For those that haven’t seen the video simply Google the title and watch either the unrated version that contains topless women, or the edited version that contains clothed women.  Both videos are totally goofy, which women and men dancing around and making sexual innuendos throughout while Twitter hashtags occasionally make their way onto the screen.  I saw the video first in April after I heard the song at a Giants game, then heard students talking about how racy the video was.  I was amused.  Seriously,  it’s a fun video about sex. 

But the topless women apparently make the video insanely misogynistic.  The phrase “I know you want it” is code for rape, I guess.  The men are mean to the woman, some how.  And the entire video is a commercial for everything a man should not be; meaning….God, who knows.  If this video is the model for bigotry in society then I have plenty of songs, films, and video to show you that will make your head burst;  legitimate media that straight out describes misogyny. 

There are benefits to the anger at the Thicke video, the top of the list being this video from a group of law students from the University of Auckland.  It’s a parody of Blurred Lines that attacks a male dominated society that subjugates women by demanding a female dominated society that subjugates men.  Or maybe it doesn’t and I’m reading into the part about castration.  I actually enjoyed the Aussie video as much as the original because it’s creative, and the while I think the message is way overstated, it packs a punch in a way that is unusual.  Good for them for bringing it to the world.  

And while the conversation is being had at some level, the students are totally over the video.  It’s so “last-school-year” and there was little to no shock value, partly because (this is coming from students) that nudity is nothing compared to what they see on the Internet.  Now that should be a concern.   

blog comments powered by Disqus