Tuesday, August 06, 2013

The fear of not knowing

I’ve been to my classroom twice in the last few days.  No, I’m not on the clock.  No, I’m not contractually obligated.  I go because I like it.

And to annoy my administration.

I see some of the horror stories on Twitter and I shudder.  Some teachers are a week away from having the little munchkins in class yet have no idea what they are teaching, or grade level they are teaching at.  Wow.  While Ed Tech and Common Core are proliferating the Internet, it’s the things like this that are the bane to education.  Want a well run class?  Prepare for every eventuality that you can.  Want a prepared teacher?  Communicate and offer up the best atmosphere for success.  Telling them their assignment well before the last minute is a start.

I know my assignment because I annoy the administration and I’ve been teaching the same thing for awhile.  Around the end of July I start wandering to the Big Board in the office and checking what I’m teaching; harassing the staff and probably preventing loads for very important work to get done.  Hey, someone’s got to do it.  Actually, I have a relationship with my admin where they understand that I work and want to prepare, so they keep me informed.  They also understand that they can tell me to get the hell out of the office before I’m physically harmed with large objects, and I won’t be offended in the slightest.  It’s a very good relationship that I hope is cultivated with a lot of teachers and administration.

Twitter doesn’t seem to think so highly of that relationship.  At least, not from what the teachers are talking about.  Even with the most experienced teacher, springing classes without adequate prep time is setting up at the very least a delayed process of learning.  Sure, a good teacher can wing it and manage the class.  But is that what you really want?  Don’t you want the best from Day One?

Let’s get it done, people!

blog comments powered by Disqus