Monday, July 01, 2013

BART workers strike, and get no love from here.

BART strike July 1, 2013

Picture a job where one only needs a high school diploma and clean driving record.  Then picture the job with an average salary of $63,000.  But wait, add to that job an average of $14,000 annually in overtime.  Then throw in around $40,000 in benefits, including a pension package that you don’t contribute to at all.  Subtract $92 a month in health care. 

Now ask for a 23% raise.

Welcome to a BART train operator!

Low health care costs, no pension payment, making more than I make now PLUS tens-of-thousands in overtime….and you want a 23% raise?  Me and my degree would like a raise.  So would me and my “overtime” with students.  Oh, and me and my pension would like a break as well.  Along with me and my $350 a month health care cost.  I would like to drive that train all the way to economic prosperity.

Nope.  No love for striking BART workers from this union member.  Sure, I’m all for a fair day’s work at a fair day’s wage.  But these guys are doing a fantastic job playing the part of the greedy public worker who wants a lot more than their actual worth, and is willing to destroy urban transportation in the process.  Nicely done.  More reasons for the public to hate us.   

blog comments powered by Disqus