Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Mr. Silva-Brown’s Report Card, Part One: “Ratings Game”, 2013 edition

I present to you, part one of a four part series that looks at the "graded" Mr. Silva-Brown. At the end of each year I give out a report card with questions about my performance during the year.

The questions are:

-One a scale of 1 to 10 (10 being excellent), rate Mr. Silva-Brown's teaching this semester.

-Was I well organized?

-Did you understand what was going on?

-Do you think I have improved since September?

-Did you feel safe?

-Were students treated equally with respect?

-Describe your overall experience in the class

-What did I do well?

-What recommendations can you give Mr. Silva-Brown?

-Give one piece of advice for next years students.

Today, I'll give you the numbers rating. The rating is first, followed by how many students rated me at that level.  .

Here are the results:

Ten- 24  

Nine- 37 

Eight- 35

Seven- 5

Six- 2

Two- 1    

My average is an 8.8, a B+. Here are the contrasts from past years.

2005-06: 8.3

2006-07: 8.9

2007-08: 8.3

2008-09: 8.7

2009-10: 8.2

2010-2011: 8.5

2011-2012: 8.5

The only 2 was from a student that didn’t provide for much except to say that she was totally lost most of the year and actually feared coming into my classroom.  There are two things that are disconcerting about that statement.  First, this wasn’t a student that asked for help (maybe she found me intimidating).  Second, I’m a pretty good observer about what is going on in my classroom, and I’m looking for the student who seems terrified about my instruction presence.  That I can’t identify this student is a major problem.  Every year I get a low number evaluation and 90% of the time it’s some pissy attitude angry about a nothing in particular.  This one really bothers me.       

blog comments powered by Disqus