Wednesday, January 02, 2013

New Introduction

Hi.

Those that have read this blog for awhile know that I’ve spaced on updating it, mainly because school and tournament season have owned my life.  Those that have stumbled upon this blog, welcome.  I usually update more than twice a month except that school and tournament season have…well, you know.

I figure that since I’ve been writing on this blog for around seven years straight, it might be time for an introduction, or reintroduction, of yours truly. 

I’m Coach Brown.

As you can tell by the blurb up top, I’ve been teaching for over twelve years in Ukiah, California.  No, not Eureka.  Ukiah.  No, not Yreka.  U-K-I-A-H.  It’s a small town of about 16,000 people approximately two hours north of the Golden Gate Bridge.  Some of my colleagues describe Ukiah as being the home of the “redneck hippie.”  Yeah, I can see that.  So could you if you’ve seen the 60 Minute episode or the MSNBC show about marijuana.  We’ve been prominently connected to ganja in the media and dealing with it in a public high school is always great fun.  Yes, a lot of students smoke weed.  Yes, it impacts their life (some more than others).  And yes, a whole lot of parents accept it.

My school is about 1,600 students.  I teach AP Comparative Government, U.S. Government, Economics, and AP U.S. History.  I love to teach.  I mean, I’m already doing my dream job and the only thing that could make it better was if society actually cared about Education.  I would hope that I’m a good teacher.  I think I impact students in a positive way and I receive a whole lot more good feedback than bad feedback.  I’m constantly trying to be a better teacher.  I want students to be the driver of their own education and I’m always trying to get my classroom to become the environment that helps that process. 

I also coach basketball.  It’s teaching, and only those arrogant, self-righteous (and jealous) art/music snobs think that it isn’t.  Think about it.  I have extremely dedicated and motivated students (players) who put in massive amounts  of involved instruction time (practice) ,and get instantaneous, informative, and multiple assessments (games).  How is that not teaching? 

I started this blog because I love talking, I love writing, and I love reflecting on my experiences as a teacher in hopes of getting better.  The profession is an art, and as is with most arts one does not simply become better by throwing their hands up and wishing it.  Practice, practice, practice. 

So, welcome and enjoy the journey. 

blog comments powered by Disqus