Saturday, December 22, 2012

Guns. Lots and lots of guns.

So the National Rifle Association had the chance of coming out as a rational voice that would balance gun control and freedoms guaranteed under the Second Amendment of the Constitution.  Instead they came out with this:

 

Arming teachers.  I can’t tell you how much of a bad idea this is.  And it’s not because I think that a teacher will go and cap Johnny for being tardy (although we have some teachers in our profession that are not qualified to have a weapon).  It’s about what we are expecting education in the United States to be about.  I don’t want a goddamn gun at school.  That makes me a cop, not a teacher.  If I wanted to be a cop I would have gone to the police academy and pursued a career in law enforcement.  I have nothing but admiration for our police officers but I have no desire to be one.  Neither do a vast majority of my colleagues.   It signals a failure in society that we would basically be ignoring by making schools more like prisons.  Even Darren’s suggestion for making voluntary Resource Officers takes the primary job of the educator out of the equation, and worse it makes the educator pay for a large chunk of the training. 

More guns at school will not work.  We have a police officer on campus many days and it is not the officer that deters fights or drugs.  Teachers with guns won’t deter mass shootings.  It’ll just put the problem on the back burner and allow for a greater chance of more tragedies. 

blog comments powered by Disqus