Sunday, September 23, 2012

A truly offensive week

That gif is on loan from Grant Brisbee of McCovey Chronicles, probably one of the best baseball blog writers in existence.  One hopes that it is enough to kiss his rear end because I didn’t really ask to borrow the gif and I’m sure that I’m liable for Joe Pesci Goodfellas style ass-whipping if I don’t give credit where credit is due.  But seriously, the dude writes well and you should read his posts if you are a baseball fan.

By the way, the gif has nothing to do with my week and I posted it because I thought it was funny.  LOL A’s.

My week was actually very positive.  The vibe within my classroom is positive and work that is coming from students is quite good.  On Friday the group collaboration on creating a democratic government for a fictitious country was so good that I didn’t want the periods to end.  One of my classes has a little low energy but picks it up once we get the period going.  Otherwise, all is pretty good.

Then why the “offensive week” comment?  A colleague wrote an e-mail to me this week that stated that some blog posts I make were offensive.  No specifics were made but the message was very clear and it did state, without ambiguity, that some of my writing took a tone that the colleague didn’t like.  That brings up an interesting issue about what happens when I write something that someone I work with doesn’t like.  Ok, maybe it really isn’t an issue because what happens is nothing.  Seriously.  Nothing is going to happen and nothing should happen because simply being offended is not legal grounds for anything in this country.  If you are really interested in being the kind of person that burns down buildings and lives simply because of Freedom of Expression, I point you to something you can relate too all too well.

There are three reasons why I blog.

First, I like to reflect.  I go back and check out how lessons went, how my frame of mind was, and the usual “Silva-Brown’s Report Cards” to try and find trends that help my teaching.  It allows me to see what works and to anticipate moments where I notice certain amounts of stress, or moments where I notice I’m working too hard with not enough results.  It’s extremely useful.

Second, I like to talk.  I’ve always had a thing about expressing opinions and I figured a blog would be a nice place to do just that.  I talk about a lot of things, some might not be in the realm of totally tasteful when it comes to holier-than-thou prudes that still think what I’m actually saying.  I get that my job has the benefit of tenure, and that allows me to discuss education related issues without fear of reprisal, which is how it should be anyway.  I don’t go after colleagues, I don’t go after my boss, and I don’t talk about students with the exception of group behaviors that usually happened in the past and that identify no one.  The only time my blog became a real problem was one the parent of a disgruntled athlete actually printed off all my posts and gave them to my then principal with “offensive” words and phrases all highlighted; with particular anger at a post for saying that I found breasts to be an attractive attribute of the opposite sex.  Here’s a news flash.  I still do.

Third, I like to write.  For some reason I’ve had no real problem writing things down, and my family always said I seemed to write well.  This wasn’t a reason early on.  However I’ve grown to really like writing again and I’m working on making it better.  I look back at previous posts and I see the sub-par, petulant, hyperbolic, simple-mindedness with no real direction or coherent thought.  Now I see sub-par, petulant, hyperbolic, simple-mindedness with no real direction or coherent thought, but damn its written a whole lot better. 

So I continue to write.  You can choose to read, or not.  That’s kind of the really neat thing about that First Amendment thing; it allows you the first line of censorship defense by simply not looking at offensive material.        

blog comments powered by Disqus