Saturday, June 23, 2012

Mr. Silva-Brown’s Report Card, Part One: “Ratings Game”, 2012 edition

I present to you, part one of a four part series that looks at the "graded" Mr. Silva-Brown. At the end of each year I give out a report card with questions about my performance during the year.

The questions are:

-One a scale of 1 to 10 (10 being excellent), rate Mr. Silva-Brown's teaching this semester.

-Was I well organized?

-Did you understand what was going on?

-Do you think I have improved since September?

-Did you feel safe?

-Were students treated equally with respect?

-Describe your overall experience in the class

-What did I do well?

-What recommendations can you give Mr. Silva-Brown?

-Give one piece of advice for next years students.

Today, I'll give you the numbers rating. The rating is first, followed by how many students rated me at that level.  .

Here are the results:

Ten- 24  

Nine- 43 

Eight- 44

Seven- 20

Six- 1

Five- 3  

One- 1  

My average is an 8.5, a straight B. Here are the contrasts from past years.

2005-06: 8.3

2006-07: 8.9

2007-08: 8.3

2008-09: 8.7

2009-10: 8.2

2010-2011: 8.5

The only 1 hardly had anything on it.  I can’t really tell what the issues are if the student decides to only put the score and no feedback.  The three fives were interesting.  One form stated that the student felt punished for traveling and that the grade reflected that statement.  One form stated that I should have taken sides on political debates to counter-balance “ignorant questions” for a more complete understanding of issues, and one form complained that I wasn’t more clear on the student’s current grade throughout the semester (even if the information was constantly online).  I’ll address these issues later on.   

blog comments powered by Disqus