Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Back in KC

Yeah, so I’m grading Advanced Placement exams.  No, don’t ask because I can’t talk about it.

In fact I’m noticing that maybe I’m a little socially awkward when I get around people I really don’t know.  I’m sitting here in the Social Lounge where I’m typing on my laptop with my earphones plugged into a Fresno Grizzlies game.  In the room are groups of people talking about nothing in particular, and I don’t seem to do will going on in and engaging in small talk.  Never have.  This doesn’t mean that I don’t totally ignore people around me.  I just don’t make the effort, or something.  That’s not to say I don’t get along with people.  In fact I’m very conversational with people at my question table.  Who knows.  Maybe my body language is screaming that I have a flesh eating disease or something. 

I still really like Kansas City.  I’ve already nibbled on ribs and sampled some of the local brew, and the weather hasn’t been so muggy as to make me dread the outdoors.  Today I decided to walk from the Convention Center to the hotel after the reading, not a bad walk when the weather is nice.  When the weather is muggy it becomes more of a slog.  Everywhere I look there are AP Graders from Calculus, Statistics, Comparative Politics, and Biology.  We are the smallest group by number and by notice.  We are the group without the goofy t-shirts, something that Calc is well known for. 

Ok, better try and interact as a human being with other human beings.  If that fails I might just go and lay by the pool.  Hmmm.  Choices….

blog comments powered by Disqus