Saturday, May 12, 2012

A lawsuit. Of course.

Note to all parents in the world.  Your little darlings can’t do everything.  In fact, chances are that your little darlings can’t do most things very well, although they can some a couple of things pretty good. 

Sound pessimistic?  It hardly is.  There is no shame in trying to do everything.  But let’s face it, only a few people are going to be basketball players, or excellent writers, or wonderful painters, or play first chair in a concert, or conduct a solo, or be the lead actor/actress.  I did a few things very average in high school and was fortunate enough to stick through basketball, growing to love it in the process.  I was cut in a sport during my sophomore year.  I tried out for JV Baseball and didn’t make it past the first cut.  And I was prime baseball material.  My dad was pitched for Hayward High School and had multiple perfect games before getting drafted by the Dodgers, so I was positive that simple genetics were going to at least get me a ball cap.  I pitched in 5th and 6th grade before switching to soccer, eventually fine tuning my baseball skills on the Nintendo in 8th grade.  I then impressed the ladies at Cal-Skate in Chico by hitting pitch after pitch on the fast pitch “slow” mode in the batting cages as a freshman.  I mean I was raking.  Dammit.  Now that I think about it, why the hell was I cut?

I was cut because I sucked.  I looked like the 2012 version of Aubrey Huff at the plate; smacking infield pop flies to second base like it was my goal to wear a hole in his glove.  I was not good.  Period.  But I don’t know what I was thinking.  I could have sued my way onto the team.

I just can’t imagine that the kid of this mother is not cringing big time as a lawsuit plays out regarding John Doe getting cut (as a freshman) from the varsity basketball team.  Constitutional right of competitive sports?  Due process of appeals for cut players?  Are we serious here?  Yep, and the judge really needs to come down hard on the parent by making an example of her.  She needs to pay for the time and money spent on this case and issue an apology to the coach and players for making this idiotic dramedy be the focus of the school year.  This is a lot of what is wrong with societies priorities over the last decade; the necessity for egalitarianism in every single instance, including situations that demand excellence.  Competitive athletics aren’t supposed to be for everyone.  They are supposed to be for a select few that meet the criteria set by the school and coaching staff in regards to representing the team in a competitive arena.  In a varsity basketball case that means twelve, maybe thirteen guys.  If you don’t make it, try something else.

blog comments powered by Disqus