Saturday, March 10, 2012

I’m taking over the French class at my school

That sounds absurd of course and I’m shooting this on my blog with the hope that the French teacher at my school (a friend of mine) will read it and begin to perspire with the knowledge that I will make a total mockery of what is left of the French language.

Except if he does read it he’ll laugh and realize that I won’t be taking over the French program because, surprise, I’m not qualified in French.  The only experience I have with French is my freshmen year in high school where I received a “D” for constantly laughing at the fact that “fuck off” in French just sounded so damn ridiculous.  Hence the reason I took German.  And so I won’t be harassing my fellow colleague because I would make a lousy French teacher.  The rule does not apply to coaching, and it really should.

Those of you that are old of this blog know that the most tip-of-the-knife conversation I can post is about sports at Ukiah High School.  It’s a conversation that leads to people’s heads exploding and the kind of protests that Occupy only dreams about.  This isn’t about any particular sport per se, but about the doctrine around coaches and their potential hiring.  See at Ukiah High School (much like many schools) teachers get the preference in regards to coaching.  This presents an interesting dilemma for experienced coaches that are walk-on coaches and for programs that want to have stability and build up a culture of consistency.  If a program is honestly out to do what athletics is supposed to do (make positive experiences for kids) then hiring the best person for the job would only make sense.  One doesn’t simply take a sport because they feel like it, unless they are teachers.  And this presents a dilemma in a town where athletics reigns over any academic achievement. 

As I’ve said in the past that the European model might be the way to go for sports at the high school level.  So much time is spent on expectations for athletics that the mission of the institution is lost in a cloud of sweat and glory.  At the same time athletics has an important place in a student’s life that is worth more than some guy saying “You know, I think I’d like to take on coaching water polo this year.  Hell, I swam in eighth grade so there can’t be that much difference.”  Of course the most sane approach would be for everyone to act like professional adults. 

But what fun would that be?   

blog comments powered by Disqus