Saturday, February 11, 2012

Another season done.

There is always happiness and sadness to the end of a basketball season.  The sadness comes from the end of a period of relationships you’ve had from a close group of students for months.  Along with that I watch Seniors play their last basketball game and those relationships have been going for years.  The happiness is simple.  Finally, some rest.  I’ve been going basically non-stop since the first week of November and this period of rest is very welcome.  Notice that my blog has been quiet for awhile.  Well, I really didn’t have the energy to do a lot of blogging.

The season went very well.  As with any season, dealing with twelve teenage boys has its periods of agony and ecstasy.  But the end result was more than I could have hoped for.  We ended the season 21-5 and tied for the league championship with oft league favorite Cardinal Newman High School in Santa Rosa.  The cherry on top of the season was the way we came out for the last game; attacking the rim, diving on the floor, and making unselfish plays.  The win last night guaranteed us a share of the title and hopefully a springboard to positive varsity experience next year.

I’ll rest for about two weeks and then do two days a week of open gym.  It allows me to reinvigorate that other basketball passion I have, playing.  Then the whole coaching thing comes back in June when I return from grading Advanced Placement exams in Kansas City. 

And it starts all over again. 

blog comments powered by Disqus