Friday, December 16, 2011

Overnighters

Taking kids on regular field trips is exhausting for me.  I worry like a mother and watch like a hawk.  As mellow as some people tell me to be I always come back to the fact that I’m responsible for someone’s child and that my job could very well be on the line if something goes horribly wrong.

Now take that feeling and start multiplying it, because that’s where I’m at tonight.  I’m doing my annual basketball overnight tournament trip to Napa…….well the tournament is in Napa while we stay in Fairfield.  It’s stressful and contains little in the realm of sleep.  Mix teenagers loaded up on junk all packed into little rooms and the recipe that comes out can be, interesting. 

I’m always considering taking students on weeklong excursions, either with some travel organization or creating something that I can do to go to Washington D.C.   The problem is that I can’t possible see myself enjoying the time because I would constantly be concerned about someone else’s child.  And not to sound like a crotchety old man but manners are not high on the priority list these days when dealing with many kids.  That means either I need to constantly remind them what good manners are about or enact consequences when the rules are blatantly broken.  It’s work.  A lot of work.

But at the moment I have a rare pause in my responsibilities.  A group of parents came down and everyone went their separate ways for dinner, which is a good and a bad thing.  Coaches probably know what I mean when I say “went their separate ways”  and that’s never a great thing for a team sport.  But it gives me a breather to blog and check out the Net.  What I really want to do is sleep.  I’m flat ass blasted tired.  But I’ve got a couple of hours yet to make sure that all the kids are accounted for and down for the night, even with the plethora of parents here at the hotel.

They are, after all, my responsibility.    

blog comments powered by Disqus