Sunday, October 30, 2011

Merit Pay for attendance

I got this from Joanne Jacobs (check the Blog Roll).

At Wendell High School, teachers will receive merit bonuses based on the percentage of parents who show up for the conferences.

Teacher bonuses, which will be distributed for the first time in 2012, can be based on a variety of factors, such as test scores and average daily attendance rates. Both district and state goals must be met.

Wendell Superintendent Greg Lowe said his district decided to base teacher bonuses on parent participation in high school conferences because it’s been a problem in the past.

So it looks like it’s time for to start offering extra credit for kids that get their parents to show up in Idaho.

I’m trying to figure out how this would be measured in my case.  So in my Advanced Placement courses I’ll probably get near or over 50% attendance, while I’ll only get about 20% attendance (at the most) for my college prep courses, and I’ve had none show up when I taught Introductory level courses for struggling learners.  Hmmmmm…..

Economists call this a perverse incentive.  It will be another example to slap on the counter of why experienced teachers don’t want to teach classes with struggling learners.  On top of the fact that Intro level classes have more discipline issues, less support, increased likelihood of Second Language Learners (therefore, more scrutiny), and increased risk of personal loss (IEP implementation), now you throw in the radical idea of basing a person’s pay on whether or not a parent who might not be living up to their end of the education bargain will take a seat in your classroom. 

Thank God my wife and I decided against moving to Idaho

blog comments powered by Disqus