Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Seriously?

Oh yeah, as you read in my last post, I had some odd testing statistics presented to me today.  Check this out. 
In 2010 I had 21 students in AP U.S. History take the STAR test.  Out of the 21, 17 scored Advanced.  All the students that scored Proficient (the next level down) were within ten points of scoring Advanced.  None of the Proficient scores passed (some didn’t even take) the AP U.S. History test.
Fast forward to 2011.  I had 22 students in AP U.S. History take the STAR test.  Out of the 22, only 13 scored Advanced.  And out of the 9 that scored Proficient, four passed the AP U.S. History test!  One of them even scored a “4”!  How in the hell do you pass one of the harder Advanced Placement tests, and (in a few cases) barely pass into the Proficient category from Basic on a test that isn’t anywhere near the rigor?
Anyone?
blog comments powered by Disqus