Sunday, May 01, 2011

Bin Laden is dead

I was one of those Americans that hung a flag from his fence after September 11th, 2001.  I’ve cursed Osama Bin Laden’s name a few times and have thought of the number of ways I wished he’d been caught. 

Well, he was finally caught, and he was finally killed. 

I’ll admit that my first reaction was “got you, you little fucker”.  That was the enraged part of myself that remembered his taunts on the videos post-9/11, where the Sheik Osama basically stated that he would stop his attacks if Americans gave up their democratic government and way of life.  After a minute the rage went away and, like 9/11, I wanted to know what happened, how it happened, and what the future repercussions were going to be so I could discuss it with students tomorrow. 

Two things disturbed me irked me about this evening.  One was the mood of celebration at the White House.  Something just didn’t feel right about it.  People were partying like Japan had just surrendered on the U.S.S. Missouri in Tokyo Bay.  In reality it’s more like Yamamoto was shot down somewhere over the Solomon Islands and the war is long from over.  The vision on Pennsylvania Avenue didn’t seem right at all.  Neither did the teacher channels on the Twitterverse.  It was the exact opposite from educators; instead of any jubilation at all, everything was “it is fairly meaningless” and “we just caused more trouble”, as if the event was just another soldier in the chain bad guys.  Morale victories mean something, especially when it is the symbolic leader of something so nasty. 

So I remain fairly level headed about the whole thing, although I must admit that I grin at the fact that the bad guy got what was coming to him tonight.  I’ll let Mark Twain close it out.

“I’ve never wished a man dead, but I have read some obituaries with great pleasure.”
blog comments powered by Disqus