Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Kansas City here I come

image

Great news on the professional development front!  I’m off to Kansas City to read Advanced Placement Comparative Government FRQ’s in June!  For those that don’t know, an FRQ stands for Free Response Question, basically the essay portion of the AP Comparative Government test. 

I know, I know.  What’s the big deal about reading essays?  Well, everything that everyone says about AP readings is very positive.  Not only do you grade the essays, the entire experience is one huge workshop on the subject matter you teach.  The amount of curriculum in the brains of the readers and professors is incalculable.  I’m bringing the netbook and a big fat thumb drive to hopefully gather same goodies to share with the future of Ukiah High.  I mean think of it; a collection of the subject matter’s best talent (not meaning to sound arrogant at all) collaborating on the best ways to bring knowledge to the little peeps we all teach.  Sounds like a hell of an opportunity.

Then there’s the wanderlust.  I’ve always had a strong sense of wanting to explore new places, try new things, and meet new people.  Kansas City has so much potential; a Royals game, BBQ, the Negro Leagues museum, the National World War One Museum.  I just won’t have the time to try it all out.  But just being somewhere different and new is exciting.  You know that one guy that would, if he could, just jump on a plane and go somewhere….just because.  Yeah, that would be me.

So my “time off” (a snarky dig at those fucks that think summer is three months of nothing) will include grading AP tests, the Annual AP Conference in San Francisco (where I will focus on AP U.S. History), and plenty of basketball tournaments.  Sounds like a plan!     

blog comments powered by Disqus