Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Thanksgiving

I’ve pretty much not touched any class work since leaving my semi-messy classroom on Friday.  Basically, my classroom looks like my life; half organized chaos where I know where things are, but I’m too busy to put it all away.  I’m planning to go into my classroom for about two hours on Friday before my basketball game to tidy up and do a little grading.

Speaking of basketball, and working, I’ll throw out this number for those that think that coaching high school athletics isn’t really a job.  I will spend 23 hours this week outside of my home on basketball related work.  So much for the tired, idiotic statement that school teachers get so much time off.

I’ve also been doing more reading (fiction and magazines), watching television shows that have been on Tivo for weeks, re-watching the Harry Potter films, and talking to my wife.  Since I leave at 6:30 in the morning and don’t get home until after 8 in the evening, I don’t see my wife much.  It’s nice to reconnect.

Turkey Day in our home will be a small affair with her parents, a little football, good food, and great wine.  My wife and I agree that it is our favorite holiday because the pressure of useless gift buying doesn’t exist.  You literally eat, drink, and be merry.  Then Friday and Saturday become game days and a different joy floods into my life for the 23rd season. 

Happy Holidays!

blog comments powered by Disqus