Sunday, November 07, 2010

2010 World Series Champion, San Francisco Giants

image

If anyone told you at the beginning of the year that the San Francisco Giants would win the World Series, they were lying.  Sure, the team had two time Cy Young award winner Tim Lincecum and a battery-mate named Matt Cain, both among the leagues best pitchers.  But the next three in the rotation were questionable (Jonathon Sanchez), overpaid (Barry Zito), and pretty much unknown (Todd Wellemeyer).  Not the most competent pitching staff in many people’s views.  The diamond hadn’t changed much either.  Pablo Sandoval was nice, Bengie Molina was in the fold again, as was Juan Uribe and Edgar Renteria.  But remember that Eugenio Velez and Fred Lewis were also around, players that gave past fans fits for years.  Every fly ball to left field was questionable because Lewis couldn’t use his glove.

Well, moves were made, torture occurred, and the end result was a World Series win that I still can’t wrap my mind around.  Oh, and this is after I made a trek to San Francisco on Wednesday to actually be a part of history with one million other people.  Yep, this Giants fan still can’t believe that the first championship was a team that included Pat Burrell and some guy named Cody Ross.  My wife and I hit up about a dozen games this year, and the word World Series was nowhere near passing our lips.  Fighting for the National League West?  Yes, and we really expected a down to the wire fight.  Series win?  Not even remote. 

So I’ll spend a few weeks thanking my Giants with a few moments that I felt were memorable for me, the points that made the 2010 Giants one of the most fun teams to follow to the very end.  It was a hell of a ride.

blog comments powered by Disqus