Saturday, August 07, 2010

CTA 800 decides to tax 300,000 in a recession

With health care costs increasing, five days of furlough, having to spend more money on supplies, and a possible cut of my coaching stipend, I found out recently that my union, the California Teacher's Association, chose to throw forth its support by enacting an increase on taxation on its membership.

Wow.  Thanks.

I'm still trying to figure out how increasing dues is at all supportive of teachers, especially in the middle of greatest economic downturn since the 1930's.  I tweeted the CTA asking about the fee increase and was basically ignored for a week.  I asked again, but I stated that I was a dues paying member and a site rep, and lo-and-behold the CTA responded.

The dues increase was approved by the 800-member State Council of Education in June.

Interesting.   When I asked my local about an increase during the last meeting in the beginning of May, they insisted that they never heard of such a thing.  Now it comes out that some 800 members, that by-the-way do a piss poor job of representing the overall interests of teachers, reached their hands into a profession that has lost millions over the last couple of years. 

Let's be real honest, the money is going towards politicking and President David Sanchez's salary.  David makes four times my salary when you add in benefits (conservatively), and obviously he needs more money to buy protection for those times when he bends teachers over for another dollar.  Then he'll take that money and give it to political groups that at least half his teachers don't agree with, all the while becoming one of the more detested special interests in society in California. 

I would love a Texas style law that demands that the teacher notify, in writing, that the union is allowed to use X percentage of the paycheck for political issues, and I'd like that done without penalty.  I can become an agency fee-payer, but all that means is that I get a little cash back while my union negotiates my pay and benefits without my voice.  Sounds like a lousy deal.  In the meantime, I'm going to probably ask that my local union cut back the dues locally to balance out the CTA raise, and that our local send a letter protesting the rise in fees at this most inconvenient time.    
blog comments powered by Disqus