Wednesday, June 09, 2010

I voted

There is something that makes me very happy to be an American when I walk out of my house and walk to the polls to cast my vote to share my voice in the democratic process.  I chatted with some of the poll workers (parents of formers students), and basked in the glory of engaging in my government.

Me and 4.2 million others.  That means that out of 33 million Californians, about 17 million of which are registered to vote, a mere 13% made the decisions that impact the state.  Talk about voter apathy (fatigue).  Governing by initiative won’t get any better in November, when there will be as many as 12 different propositions on the ballot.  I won’t tell you who I voted for, only that I pretty disgusted by all the candidates.  My party is falling further and further into murkiness of political irrelevancy with the continuing tactic of attacking issues without any basis in fact.  I’ve had recent comments labeling Sarah Palin as a role model for young women on this blog.  A role model for what?  She can’t carry on an intellectual conversation for crying out loud.  The fact that John McCain lowered himself by allowing Palin to come back and campaign for him disgusts me. 

On a happier note, I received a message from a former student working on a major political campaign that she’s having the time of her life.  She didn’t get much time for celebrating her graduation from high school, and instead headed to work on getting someone elected in November.  It’s always fun watching students succeed.  Watching a student dive right in after high school is priceless.      

blog comments powered by Disqus