Saturday, June 06, 2009

Another successful FED trip, and other musings

For the fourth time I took a group of students down to the Federal Reserve Bank and the San Francisco Museum of Modern Art. 

Believe it or not, it wasn’t a full trip. 

For $15, students would have the opportunity to get out of the classroom to head down to the City by the Bay and spend a sunny afternoon observing things that they might not ever see.  Unfortunately, I went to the city with only 22 students and myself with another chaperone.  I’m still trying to figure it out, but regardless it was a success.  Students  enjoyed the Federal Reserve, the walk down Market Street, and the completely bizarre visions at the SF MOMA.  Once again, I would say the 90 minute tour at the FED is a tops at a list of field trips for Economics classes.  If you have the opportunity, sign up for the tour.

In terms of my high school, I don’t know if this is a cost beneficial trip anymore.  In fact, I don’t know if transportation anywhere is cost beneficial.  Either someone is screwing the school or transportation has become so insanely expensive that trips of any kind using school buses won’t be practical any more.  Cost of a yellow limo to San Francisco?  $1,100.  Yep.  Pretty ridiculous.  That means that a bus load to Santa Rosa for every athletic event is costing around $500.  More insanity.  The only reason that this year’s trip was possible was a Target Field Trip Grant for $800.  Otherwise, it wasn’t happening. 

My classes are pretty set for next year.  Looks like I have two classes of AP Comparative Government, one class of International Studies, one class of Government/Economics, and one class of AP U.S. History.  Any advice at all on AP U.S. History would be kindly accepted.  The opinions on this end are that the workload on the instructor is immense.  However, I’ve been looking at other teacher’s class sites and finding that the issue is the same as with other new classes, it will be tough the first year to build curriculum, then it gets easier.

I’m almost finished with this year, but I’m busy constantly throughout the summer.  We’ll see how that works.    

blog comments powered by Disqus