Sunday, October 19, 2008

The Lost Kids of Willows

image 

I have a small piece of my history that resides in Willows, some of it good and some of it not so good.  It isn't that connection that makes me feel so sad about what has happened to that town over the last three years.  It isn't the fact that I'm a teacher that makes me feel like my heart drops through my stomach every time I hear about the tragedies that have befallen Willows, California.  It's just simple humanity that drives me to near tears when I think about the course of events that has impacted this little town about two hours east of Ukiah.

Those of us in Northern California have probably heard about the deaths of Stephen Furtado, and Jenny and Billy Carrigan.  Stephen and Jenny were murdered, and Billy was killed in a car accident while trying to drive back to the town of Chester, California upon hearing about the murders.  Stephen Furtado was a student at Willows High School.  What many don't know is that Willows has had a very tough few years with student deaths, tough enough to make even the strongest hearted break down and ask, "Why?".  

ESPN got a hold of the story and Michael Weinreb wrote an excellent article about trials of Willows High School during recent memory.  I recommend the article for two reasons.  First, it is an extremely well written article by the national media about a local town. 

Second, it makes you want to hug a kid and tell them that you care.

The Lost Kids of Willows

blog comments powered by Disqus