Thursday, August 21, 2008

Let it flow

image

I reread my rant this morning and couldn't decide if it was embarrassing or more to the truth.  In the end, I decided that it was more to the truth, but I wasn't going to let it deter me from getting the satisfaction of teaching.

So I drove to the school with coffee in hand and walked into my empty classroom at 7 a.m. and said to no one in particular, "U.S. History curriculum will be developed today.  It will be done".  Although it didn't happen until about 1:30 in the afternoon, the euphoria came upon me when I finally broke through that "relevant creativity" wall that had been blocking me for awhile.  The guiding questions formulated in my mind and the development of my U.S. lessons came pouring out onto my computer like the freed lake that had been dammed up for years.  It felt good.  It felt really good.  I scoured websites and found videos, primary sources, quotes, images........everything flowed so well.  The only thing I can compare it to would be my old Dragonlance novels that I like to read on occasion.  In the books, when a mage casts a spell correctly it's like the greatest feeling of euphoria that can exist builds up within a person and then bursts out upon completion.  A person slowly weaves the spell that works its magic and when the end result is upon them, a marvelous sense of satisfaction.  This afternoon I was weaving, and it was a very nice change from yesterday.

However, not be a killjoy but the morning held a staff meeting in which we were given attendance information that confirms my thoughts from last night.  We are not getting the help from the community that we need to succeed.  I'll post some interesting stats later.   

blog comments powered by Disqus