Friday, June 20, 2008

Mr. Silva-Brown's Report Card, Part Two "What recommendations would you give Mr. Silva-Brown" 2008 edition

Here are all my recommendations, to the letter, from my Seniors. I'm leaving none out, however some students did not fill out every category, which is why the numbers will not be the same. My comments are in parentheses.

-Don't be mean
-Nothing
-Too much busy work (I found this interesting coming from International Studies, where you almost had no homework period. However, some students found weekly news journals a little tedious.)
-Don't always assume that I'm text messaging. Sometimes I space out or get chap stick out of my purse. (Don't text and I won't assume. If I nail you more than once, I'll hover forever.)
-Spend more time on elasticity and do more activities and assignments. It's more work but I'd get it better.
-Make view grades easier. I never knew what I had in class. (As if the Internet or simply asking me was tough)
-Don't be so loud
-Be more lenient
-Be more understanding, and have better questions that people can understand
-Your too loud, tone it down
-The slideshows worked better than the Word document lists
-Tone it down on quizzes or be more lenient
-Don't get off topic so much
-Don't give people seizures with your power points. (Note to self, too much animation takes away from good presentations. Lesson learned.)
-Have a nice life.
-Less movement on slideshow notes
-Be nicer to people delivering stuff. (Over the years I got tired of attendance kids annoying my classes by coming in waving at students or actually talking to them while I'm talking. So I became the mean guy that lights up the people delivering passes or picking up sheets if they don't "get in and get out". )
-When giving homework assignments, please remind those of us who are forgetful.
-More activities
-Ease up on the parted hairdo and bands nobody knows
-Don't be so hard on us
-If someone is going to fail and not graduate, tell them ahead of time.
-Update the Moodle more often (I'm debating if the Moodle was actually worth it. It took an enormous amount of time outside of class to do, and I would like some life on the weekend.)
-Don't give so many quizzes
-More in-class activities
-Can't really think of any
-Take it easy on students and look at things from both points of view. Be cooperative and wise.
-Pass back papers.
-Give the sub lesson plans (bah)
-Don't scare freshmen or anyone else. Actually, you have a fairly bad public image. (I've found that I'm known as the teacher that is intimidating and tough. I'll take it)
-You make us wanna learn when you do fun activities and we're having a good time with it.
-I think you should have more quizzes because I don't think 3 times a week is enough. I loved coming to your class whenever we had quizzes and seeing how horrible I did on them!
-Keep classroom warmer and the girls won't nag you. It will make the learning experience better. (I keep the room at around 70 degrees. I get hot easily and often the girls that think that this is a beach have a problem with the temp)
-Reduce quizzes a considerable percentage
-Don't make the room so cold, other than that, great job.
-Warn classes about quizzes!
-Less notes
-Update Moodle more
-Don't be so harsh on grading the stock projects
-I still don't understand the graphs all the way, especially Supply
-hand out ear-muffs and jackets
-don't be so grumpy
-stop being so picky
-Tone down the stock project, the slideshow is enough (they also had a written portion)
-Your grading is a bit too tough, but keep doing quizzes, they make students study
-People should form study groups before finals. (Funny they should mention that. Two periods did not form a study group and averaged around 72% on the Final. One period did a study group and averaged an 83% on the Final.)
-I really, really liked the activities that were more hands on, like the buy/sell stuff and the stocks. Maybe a little more of that.
-Don't smack students that sleep.
-Let us use a sheet of notes for the final. Too much to remember!
-Hand back our assignments more.
-Don't beat up students
-Try to analyze more events and governments.
-Get new jokes
-Don't tell stuff to one class and forget that you didn't tell the other
-You need to keep notes either power point or on Word. It's hard to take notes when you use them both.
-Don't be such a hard ass
-less quizzes
-Get a better laptop
-More cartoons and commercials
-Lakers rock
-Play better defense if you don't want 3's raining down on your head
-smile more
-Change your tardy policy. It's kinda ridiculous.
-Update grades online more often
-finance.google.com instead of yahoo finance
-don't be specific on quizzes
-get a hair cut
-nope
-keep doing it the same
-stay away from notes for a little bit, it gets kinda dull
-keep it up, your doing good
-don't insult people
-not so many quizzes
-High school students can't be expected to learn like college students do; the environment is too different, even AP students.
-Assign the reading after doing the power point, it's easier to learn that way. And post the power points online.
-Be more leient and give students a break sometime
-Give tests back sooner so we can make improvements.
-You are stubborn beyond reason. Even if this is a "college" class, you cannot abide by school policy and make the class just like college. (This was one of my bad ratings. I take a grain of salt as well becuase this is one of the entitlement issues. How do you complain about being treated like an adult when you are tardy two-three times a week?)
-Sometimes give the kids a break
-Take your time teaching this course. It's complete crap that it is only a semester. (Another AP complaint, and I totally agree)
-Less quizzes, and warn students multiple times
-You cannot, even though I'm aware you'd like to, run this class like a college course. Seniors, and high school students in general, need to be reminded of reading and assignments more than once. (Another AP issue. Am I wrong or is an Advanced Placement class supposed to be a college level course?)
-Update the Moodle more.
-Return multiple choice tests quicker so we can study. More FRQ's to practice with. Divide up reading in smaller chunks. 15 pages over two days is too much.
-Put notes online. Don't take questions from one place, then give AP questions without covering the material. (I seems to me like my AP students really wanted info fed to them. Many seemed irritated that answers were right out of the text, but we didn't have time to cover everything.)
-Don't be such an asshole about grading assignments without telling why the assignment recieved the score. (Ask and ye shall recieve)
-Spend less time on the UK
-Add "political socialization" and "welfare state"
-Start the country process in the first semester and carry it over to the second for more time.
-Organization and make sure students understand the text more.
-Actually and promptly call on people who raise their hand. Many times I have sat patiently languishing for hours waiting for Mr. Brown to call on me. (Wow, that's a first)
-Better power points. Curve tests.
-I didn't like the country presenations, but I think he is a good teacher.

And there you have the student recommendations.
blog comments powered by Disqus