Saturday, March 22, 2008

Obama's "I Have a Dream" Speech is full of crap


A student came into class this week and said, "Mr. Brown, they're saying that Barrack Obama's speech on race last night was like the speech that Martin Luther King made in Washington."

Except that it wasn't.

I heard a repeat performance online and I just shook my head at the hypocrisy of Obama's words. While Obama was immediate and aggressive in his demand that Don Imus be fired after making an off-the-cuff remark that he thought was comedic, the presidential candidate is actually FORGIVING to a guy who basically said "Kill Whitey" in a prepared speech in front of a religious congregation. Where's the outrage?

My response to the kid who mentioned the comparison was "What do you think", and we went from there. As usual, I don't bring my bias into the classroom.....unless it's my hatred for country music......and the Dodgers......and the Lakers...........and France.

At least one major newspaper picked up on the hypocrisy.

When Don Imus uttered his infamous slur on the radio last year, Obama cut him no slack. Imus should be fired, he said. "There's nobody on my staff who would still be working for me if they made a comment like that about anybody of any ethnic group."

When it came to Wright, however, he wasn't nearly so categorical. Oh, he's "like an old uncle who says things I don't always agree with," Obama indulgently explained to one interviewer. He's just "trying to be provocative," he told another." Far from severing his ties to Wright, Obama made him a member of his Religious Leadership Committee -- a tie he finally cut only four days ago."

Such a clanging double standard raises doubts about Obama's character and judgment, and about his fitness for the role of race-transcending healer. Yesterday's speech was finely crafted, but it leaves some troubling questions unanswered.

It sure does. I'm wondering is some of the higher end Democrats are starting to pull out their hair and realize that it will be another year with a Republican in the White House. With Obama showing some serious chinks in his armor, and with Hillary being.......well.......Hillary (freezing interest rates for 5 years? idiot), its beginning to look like the most "presidential" candidate is the Republican. Of course that could change in an instant.

In the meantime, we get to listen to Obama go from respectable candidate to Al Sharpton suck up.

Thanks to the Boston Globe for seeing through Obama's "I Have a Dream About Accepting Racism" speech.

blog comments powered by Disqus