Sunday, December 30, 2007

Guess that kills my MP3 player

Thank the Washington Post for this one.

Looks like the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA), the organization that regularly sues over 'illegal downloading' of music over file sharing networks, has decided that your computer is not appropriate storage for music.

In legal documents in its federal case against Jeffrey Howell, a Scottsdale, Ariz., man who kept a collection of about 2,000 music recordings on his personal computer, the industry maintains that it is illegal for someone who has legally purchased a CD to transfer that music into his computer.


Come on now. I'm all for nailing people that download thousands of songs and illegally distribute music at now charge. I'll be the first to say that musicians should get what they deserve when they create music that people love. At the same time, how exactly does a person go about transferring music from a cd to an MP3 player without putting it on a computer? If the answer is an iTunes style system then what's the difference between spending $15 on a cd to upload to your computer, and spending $10 to download the exact same music onto your computer?

The RIAA can kiss the entire area of my behind on this one, as I have nearly every album uploaded on my computer so I can transfer music to my MP3 player, create playlists, and save space. My wife and I are looking to acquire a sound system that will simply need wireless to use the computer as storage to play music. I don't see copyright infringement anywhere in my home, and the RIAA better look out because the backlash will just make people more digital.
blog comments powered by Disqus