Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Don't bother me, I'm Kindling

I don't know about you, but I can't constantly read a computer screen. I mean, reading short bursts of text on the screen (blogs, news articles) are just fine for the eyes of a computer nut, but the concept of a E-book doesn't appeal to me in the slightest. While the research portion of literature is perfect for the Net, I can't find myself reading a copy of Persepholis on the monitor before I head out to watch it at the theaters on December 26.

Well, Amazon has been humping this new device that is, in essence, a portable book machine. It's called Kindle, and while it seems to be all over the place in terms of advertising and promotion (you can't get away from it on Amazon), the review haven't been on the same level as, say, the IPhone. Most of the complaints seem to come from the lack of selection in the Amazon book library, as they haven't been able to update their collection to any form of prominence. I've also seen many complaints about the "page flip" buttons, which are so large that they flip the electric pages when you simply grab the Amazonian device.

I guess I just don't see the whole point to a portable book. I mean, the book is already portable. What the hell is the point of a monochrome monitor that portrays a half-assed collection? I can't get away from the sight of a good book, the smell of new pages and the ability to hold a nice paperback in one hand while relaxing in the bathtub. Nope, no Kindle or Sony Reader for me, I'm staying with the paper in binding.
blog comments powered by Disqus