Thursday, May 03, 2007

The Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost, stop the crap in our mailbox is what we want the most. Lord hear our prayer.

Teacher mailboxs are the perfect place to inject propaganda. It normally ranges from the usual union complaints to the rare off end comment. In my early years, I put up a sign that stated, "Let kids have their own opinions. Don't force ours at them" in regards to the war in Iraq. Some teachers were soapboxing the war with the kids, I was getting complaints from Seniors that felt like they couldn't speak up, one way or another. So I put up a note, which I wouldn't do any more. It's boorish and immature, announcing to the world via the hallway mailboxs that they are morally incorrect for doing one thing or another. Nope, instead I've learned that you make your statements in the background, with a sense of consistent fortitude, while the loud mouth takes the heat. Hey, part of growing up.

Obviously, someone at the school hasn't figured that part out yet, and decided to throw three pages worth of Bible passages in our boxes. Yes folks, one of the progressive centers of the Universe still has a very vocal religious tone that will often rear its head when not happy with matters that abound around town, or at the school. I've had only a few encounters, and they are usually brief and usually not really about religion, but about my usual, curt mode of dealing with things. I found out about the passages in the mailboxs from an e-mail that kindly reminded people that a public school was not the venue to preach a sermon. The passages don't really bother me personally. I mean, I'll give them a look see, grin at someones attempt at conversion, and then toss the scripture into the recycle bin. I just don't really care. Then comes the comment, "Shouldn't you ever try to read the Bible?".

Duh, I'm a history teacher. Your point?

Stop putting crap in my mailbox. I get enough junk from every text book vendor in the world, I don't need someone trying to lead me to the Lord. I have my own Bible in the classroom. If I need to repent, I'll use that.
blog comments powered by Disqus