Monday, April 09, 2007

The Hypocrisy of the Imus situation

The single easiest thing that a person can do in any situation is to call something they did racially motivated. Say the wrong thing, write a disagreeable post, hell, even give someone a cross look, and it can become a racially charged incident.

Enter the situation with Don Imus, who made comments that were rough and probably offensive about the Rutgers women's basketball team. Now the famous "nappy headed ho's" comment has become the "Remember the Alamo" cry for every Rainbow Coalition activist and Al Sharpton kiss ass in America. Today I watched an excellent and intelligent comedian become a walking billboard for politically correct apologies, and my wife and I looked on in horror as the mainstream media swallowed every last drop of the faux activism. I don't know what is more disgusting; the fact that Imus actually went on Al Sharpton's radio show and melted like a Popsicle in the sun, or the comments on talk shows and blogs (including this one) that label Imus as a racist.

The hypocrisy is so thick that you could cut it with a chainsaw.

Am I wrong or are we talking about Don Imus? I mean, the same guy that accused the Bush Administration of racism after the Hurricane Katrina incident. The same guy that stated that Tennessee Senatorial candidate Harold Ford lost the 2006 election because of abject racism. The same guy that raises millions of dollars for kids of every color with ailments that are debilitating and life threatening.

As for the comments regarding the Rutgers team, since when are women or African-Americans all of a sudden exempt from humor? And don't give me the absolute dogshit excuse that it was a degrading comment that was meant to be racist because that is simply not true at all. Imus has gone after just about everyone on the planet in terms of nasty, political, comedic rhetoric; from calling NBA players "thugged out pimps", to calling his own wife "The Green Ho". Fine, you don't have to like the humor, don't listen. Eddie Murphy made comments about gays and blacks that were mammothly offensive (or haven't you seen Raw or Delirious), yet no one demanded that he get thrown out of acting or comedy. South Park has degraded and amplified numerous stereotypes, even so far as to show two special education kids in a fight (one with a wheelchair, one with crutches), and still the show remains strong. No, Al Sharpton and Jessee Jackson have simply picked this time to make a move into the political limelight in an attempt to become relevant in an arena that they can no longer relate to.

By the way, let's talk about Al Sharpton, who is the worst possible person to be apologizing to in this incident. This is the same man who supported Tawana Brawley when he had no clue about the facts in the case, and was later sued for it. This is the same man who regularly slandered Jews in New York, creating an uproar that eventually lead to the death of a student. This is the same Al Sharpton that demanded the jailing of the Duke Lacrosse students, and we know exactly how guilty the students were.

In the end, this is an argument over personal responsibility and what people find as offensive. His brand of humor is offensive, just like Murphy, Chappelle, The Blue Collar Comedy Tour, Bill Maher, and endless episodes of South Park. Be offended, and then don't listen. But don't come on to the scene, having little or no understanding about the show, and start screaming about racism when the man is simply not racist. Sharpton and Jesse Jackson will jump on any stage they can to get attention, and they would rather have you follow their judgements instead of you making your own informed decisions.

Here's my hope. I hope that a backlash will begin to spread, one that attacks the idiocy of Jackson and Sharpton, while bringing into the foreground the real issues of race in America. I hope that Imus gets on the air this morning, offers one last apology for the offensive comment, and then tells Al Sharpton to kiss his ass. Imus isn't a racist and screw Sharpton for his witch hunt tactics at tagging anyone he feels like with the mantra of "racist". Then I want to see Cardinal Egan come on the air and remind everyone that nobody is immune to comedy. Afterwords, I want Bill Maher (who will be on this morning) to get on the air and tell Al Sharpton to go f#$k himself. Then I'll laugh my ass off and enjoy the remainder of my morning.

One last note before I'm done. I've listened to Imus in the Morning since 1993, when I was a wee lad out of high school, and I find his brand of humor funny as hell. I have no problem with the idea of being an equal opportunity offender, especially in the realm of politics. I've learned more about politics and government from Imus in the Morning than from any class or textbook that a person can read. John McCain, Tim Russert, Presidents Bush "Forty-One" and Clinton, Michael Bechloss, Doris Kearns Goodwin, Jim Leher, Senator Chris Dodd, Joe Lieberman, Bob Dole, Mike Wallace, Bob Schieffer, and countless other political figures have helped me get a much better grasp on government. The show has also done something much more important, it has taught me to lighten up and laugh at myself sometimes.

Oh, and don't come on here and give me the "ohhhhhhh, you're a teacher, you shouldn't think like this" routine. I don't bring my opinions to class (unless it's country music) and this blog isn't talked about in class. I'm a professional, and I do my job with a professional attitude. But this blog is my forum and my thoughts, and being a teacher doesn't exempt me from expressing opinions.

Updated 4/10/07

Comment if you are looking for a serious discussion about race in America. Do not comment if you are calling me a racist or saying that I'm a horrible teacher.

Updated 4/10/07, later in the evening

Let's also comment if you actually have any context at all regarding the Imus in the Morning Show. All these idiots on the cable news channels are making judgments, then stating that they've never seen the show. By the way, did you notice that no Rutgers girls basketballl players stated that it bothered them until the media brought it up? Or the editor of the Rutgers newspaper stating that the story had no legs until Al Sharpton made a big deal about it?
blog comments powered by Disqus