Sunday, April 15, 2007

Guess we gotta move on.....later

I really respect Gwen Ifill, who is an excellent reporter from The Newshour and Washington Week, but she needs to seriously lighten up. She's coming off as a very angry, bitter little brat that can't take not only satirical comedy, but the fact that not every thinks like her. From Meet the Press:
You know, it’s interesting to me. This has been an interesting week. The people who have spoken, people who have issued statements, the pop—the people who haven’t. There’s been radio silence from a lot of people who’ve done this program who could’ve spoken up and said, “I find this offensive” or “I didn’t know.” These people didn’t speak up.

Tim (Russert), we didn’t hear that much from you.

David (Brooks), we didn’t hear from you.


Gwen didn't hear much from former guests because it's a no-win situation if you support Imus' right to be on the air. Of course the comments that he made were inappropriate, but if you back up his show you come off as being racially insensitive, or morally corrupt because you find that poking fun at people has comedic value. At least Russert had the balls to tell a shocked Gwen Ifill that he'd return to an Imus program if he returned. David Brooks had the more lame and kiss-ass excuse that he was ignorant of the show's real content.
Well, you know, I did the show about a half a dozen times, and Gwen and I have talked about this. But I, I, I have the lamest excuse for why I did it, which is I didn’t know what he said.

What a load of crap. I love Brook's books, but that comment made me question the validity of his spine. You went on the show because it gave you clout, and at the same time, the show was a place where you could relax and talk about provocative stuff without people getting all up in arms over stupid comments. Grow a pair, David.

And then you have these idiots like Eugene Robinson who say "I've never listened to the Imus in the Morning show", but in the same breath say,


And I’ve tried to, to, to make the point that you don’t have to wear a sheet to be a racist. You don’t have to burn crosses to be racist. You don’t have to consciously think, “In, in my heart, I hate black people.” If you think black people are different or lesser or open to ridicule or, or some sort of quote “other,” other than yourself then, you know, I think that qualifies

Now that is just great. Let me get this straight, if I think that blacks, just like anyone else, are open to ridicule, then I'm a racist? And since Robinson hasn't listened to a minute of Imus, how the hell can he make a snap judgement regarding the words that come out of a persons mouth? Yesterday morning I heard Whoopi Goldberg say,"...and God said, 'No nigga, you a bat'", at the end of her comedy routine. Should I judge her based on that sentence? Of course not. I've listened to her comedy for years. However Robinson, like Al Sharpton, Gwen Ifill, and a bunch of other "offended peoples", have now taken it upon themselves to sort out America's morality problem. That alone should be a warning sign. Borat, South Park, Rush Limbaugh, Al Franken, Saturday Nigth Live......look out, you might be next. Think I'm over blowing it? Notice how the conversation is drifting away from race, and towards "respectful conversation". Tread carefully.

And what about parents? Where is the issue of personal responsibility in this conversation? Gwen Ifill and others stated that they where going to have a major problem explaining Imus type situations to their children. Really? My father was very good at saying to me, "See that? That's make-believe" or "That's comedy" or "That person is an idiot and what he does isn't necessarily right". I can't even to begin to say that I know what it is like to be a parent, but part of parenting is explaining to your child that some things are ok, and some things are not ok. What Imus said is not ok. Neither is what Chris Rock says, Sasha Baron Cohen says, or what Whoopi says.

Anyway, onward and upward. Break is over and back to work we go.
blog comments powered by Disqus