Sunday, January 28, 2007

Guess the cat is out now

Well, it is begun.

Today's Ukiah Daily Journal has an article about the recent salary grievance that the Ukiah Teacher's Association filed against the school district. The fact that it is now in the papers means that the nice attitude between teachers and the district, something I have relished over the last few years, might be officially over.

I don't really feel much of anything about the issue at this point. I've been hearing more jostling about with certain union members lately, with rallying cries and exclamations of conspiracy by the school district to totally screw its teachers. I can't say that I'm very happy about the district giving the Super a 19% raise, and then complain that the district is in dire shape. I agree that he doesn't make a comparable wage to other schools, and neither do the teachers. However, unlike some, I also understand that the we are all victims of underfunded programs and rising costs. Slamming the district won't solve problems. Actually, every teacher walking out for a week might do a little better to get attention to funding woes. "Oh, you are already paid too much in education funding". Special Education, transportation, declining enrollment.....you have no clue what the hell you are talking about if you are one of those statement advocates.

But I'm not marching, not calling around, not crying havoc, and not letting loose the dogs of war. I've got a basketball team, a Model UN, an AP Gov class to prepare for, and about 75 kids that read wayyyyyy under grade level. Don't tell me that the union is the most important thing right now. And definitely don't tell me that we shouldn't stand up to other school site teachers regarding what is best for the kids because "we need to maintain the unity in our union and we shouldn't rock the boat."
I pay union dues. You get me my money, I'll teach.
blog comments powered by Disqus