Saturday, October 21, 2006

Weekend

As in "thank God it is the......".

-Was that not a bad ass Battlestar Galactica!?!?!? I'm telling you, THE BEST SHOW ON TELEVISION!!!!

-"What, now that a new District Attorney is going to be hired, cops will focus on marijuana and not all the crack and meth out there? What a bunch of shit." I heard this three times this week from students who are now afraid that the county's bountiful crop will be tarnished by Ukiah's Finest. I really felt sad for these kids. I mean, it's like their life revolves around weed and they are constantly up to justifying why it is the greatest thing in the world. You get the "you can't die" angle, the "it's not addictive" angle, the "hemp is wonderful, ask Thomas Jefferson" angle, and the finally, if all else fails, the "hey, then why don't then make alcohol illegal" angle. It's just pathetic. No, not the kids, the town. The kids deserve to be taught a little discipline, and the town needs to stop spending a year on a stupid flag on a stupid hill. How about the weekly drug and booze binges with students? How about a year on that?

-My students did essays on which Amendment of the Constitution they felt was most important. The First Amendment was far and away the pick of the students. A couple did a nice job justifying other amendments, and those essays were the most fun to read. You love to see students analyze the 9th Amendment and explain its incredible importance to society. For those that don't know, the 9th Amendment is basically talking about rights that people have that are not stated in the Constitution. Some believe that this is where the concept of John Locke's Natural Rights is embedded. Other students had the 14th and 19th Amendments as the most important.

-My coaching position is now left in limbo after a small culling of the boys basketball program by the School Board. I wasn't fired, but if you are a basketball coach, you could see where my job would be interesting if a program head wasn't around at this point before the season. The biggest tragedy is that I've had a variety of good, young on-campus teachers that wanted to coach, say that they will not even consider coaching in the current situation. Canned if enough parents complain? Please. A lot of good coaches are walking away, and I don't blame them.
By this time next week, I'll either be coaching or I won't be coaching. If I'm coaching then I'm happy to bring some semblance of order back to basketball. If not, then it will be the first year since 8th grade that I won't have been involved in either coaching or playing basketball.

-International Studies conducted its first Model United Nations debates on the geocide occuring in Darfur. After a little sluggishness with rules and procedures, the kids became fully involved in debating and negotiating the genocide. At the end of this week, I'll give you an update about how it went.

-Remember, legalizing weed reduces crime.
blog comments powered by Disqus