Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Reading books is cool!

I still don't understand, I mean I really don't understand, kids that say that they hate reading. I mean, in my mind reading is as fundamental as breathing, and it is impossible to function in society without either breathing or reading.
I borrowed this from California Teacher Guy.

1. One book that changed your life: Dr. Who and the Destiny of the Daleks. It is the first book I remember really getting into in the 4th grade, and that started a love of reading that has lasted forever. Yeah, I would say that it changed my life

2. One book that you've read more than once: I've read Dragons of the Autumnm Twilight every time life gets immensely stressful. The book is simple to read, is a fantasy on another world, and has an excellent cast of characters. Of course, I need to then read the next 15 that come after.

3. One book you'd want on a desert island: The Bible. I'd finally have the time and patience to really sit down and read through it. Then I would call myself the Right Hand of God or something, start my own clan, and rule a vast Empire of the island by divine right of my interpretation of holy scripture. Best part; I can't kill anyone that reads The Bible differently because I'm alone.

4. One book that made you laugh:The Boomer Bible. Oh, my, God (pardon the pun) is that a funny ass book. Think of it as a John Stewertesque look at world history and how society interacts. The first few chapters alone are worth the price. Oh, and the book manages to offend just about everyone, so if you are pretty sensitive, stay away.

5. One book that made you cry: I've never cried from a book. I've become a little emotional, but not cried. At the end of the last book of the Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, White Gold Wielder was the name, I was a little sad that the long journey of six books was over and I really felt the death of the main charecter. Of course, last year Stephen Donaldson released another book, the first of four that brings back Covenant. Dammit.

6. One book that you wish had been written: The Essentials of a Great and Successful Democracy--For Dummies. Volume 1.

7. One book that you wish had never been written: Sorry desert island, but I wish The Bible was never written. No book has caused more pain, more chaos, and more hatred than any document in human history. And yes, right behind it would be the primary books of the other religions as well.

8. The book you are currently reading: On Paradise Drive, by David Brooks. It is a pretty interesting look at modern American society and how we have evolved as a suburban culture.

9. One book you've been meaning to read:Friday Night Lights, by Buzz Bissinger. Everyone loves it and it is sitting on my shelf staring at me.

10. Now tag five people: If you're reading this, consider yourself tagged.
blog comments powered by Disqus