Friday, July 21, 2006

Driving in a heat wave


I left for awhile to visit family in Southern Oregon while the wife was at an AP Economics conference in Sacramento. I have come back to this, 109 degree heat in little Ukiah. Ouch!

I started off Monday with a little trip to Ashland, home of my grandmother. She is an ex-teacher from Hayward, California where she taught English and Art. Now she is retired in Ashland, teaching at Southern Oregon State, working at the Shakespeare Theater, and working on more projects than I am. For those of you not from around here, Ashland is in southern Oregon, about a 4 1/2 hour drive north of Sacramento. The town's main attraction is the Shakespeare Festival, home of some of the greatest theatrical productions in the world, and not just Shakespearean. I'm seen a few plays there, including King Lear, Taming of the Shrew, A Raisin in the Sun, and a variety of smaller plays. This visit was short and sweet, with the only production I watched was An Inconvenient Truth, Al Gore's foray into global warming. The movie was actually fairly good, with information presented clearly and accurately. The only complaint I had was the two times that Gore bitched about losing the 2000 election. How many times do we have to tell Al, "Get over it!".
I left Tuesday for the town of Burney, which is located about an hour east of Redding, California. In my opinion, one of the prettiest drives out there is Highway 89 between Mt. Shasta City and Burney.
The route has spectacular views of Mt. Shasta, picturesque meadows, sprawling forests, and right now, lots of Caltrans workers. Minus the last scene, everything else makes for a wonderful drive.
My father lives in Burney, which is famous for Burney Falls and closely located Hat Creek (lots of good fishing). He owns and operates Peter Brown's Pest Control, a business that he started from the ground up and is now very successful. He did it in only 4 years. Talking about the American dream.... But his motto says it all, "Where the owner does your service". Like any good business owner, he works hard, takes pride in his work, and therefore, retains a lot of customers. While I visited good old Dad, we decided that a golf game was in order, so it was off to Fall River Mills Golf course, home of the #3 606 yard par 5 that kicks everybody's ass. I shot a 62 on the front 9, and a 52 on the back nine. It must have been the morning dew on the greens.
Yesterday I met with my wife in hot as hell Sacramento, and now I'm home.......baking ass in this heat.
Not a whole lot going on regarding school. I'm working on my Intro to Business case studies for my college class, but I'm still hanging away from doing any work related stuff until next week. Whoops, I mean, unless I don't get picked for jury duty, which I was called for.
blog comments powered by Disqus