Tuesday, April 04, 2006

A sad day

There are a many "firsts" in teaching that you really don't want to experiance. In all seriousness, this might rank up at the top.
While turning in my grades, one of the vice principals told me that a former student of two years ago had died today. At first, it simply didn't register. I thought he was talking about someone else. Then I came to realization that he meant my ex-student.
This is the first time that I've had a former student die. I can't get into the details about it, but I can tell you that it is an odd feeling. It was a student that I got along with pretty well, and came to know enough that I saw the student a few months ago and we talked for a few minutes.
Knowing the student's relationship with the kids and community, I think that tomorrow is going to be very rough.
blog comments powered by Disqus