Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Can we really teach everyone?

Ms. Cornelius has posted one of the most heart wrenching parts of being a teacher, not being able to get a kid to "figure it out". Many of my Seniors have reached a point where they think they understand what the world is like and that they "know it all". This week I've had a least one student:

-snarl at me and tell me they don't care about anything in the class.
-shove an excused absence note in my face and brag that because they were 18, I couldn't do a damn thing about it
-promise to do XYZ, and never follow through

Now, understand that these events constitute only about 2% of all my students. But as we teachers learn, these groups of students can ruin your day very, very fast. However, my reaction to these students has become standard. As Seniors in high school, these students should have an understanding of what needs to be done to pass a course and eventually, graduate. Students that do the above, at the 12th grade level, at this time of year, are probably going down the road of hardship, regardless of if they graduate or not. So, I turn my focus to students that want the help, or at least understand that part of life is jumping through hoops. Thankfully, 98% of the students actually "get it", and that's what makes teaching worth while.
blog comments powered by Disqus