Saturday, December 03, 2005

Ukiah 65 El Molino 50

We jumped on them early with the full court man press, and it immediately began to pay dividends. Within the first few minutes we took a nice 8 point lead and were looking to push it forward.
Of course, we must remember that at this level, nothing is really safe. Not even a lead. The reaching began, along with the fouls, and the nasty habit of allowing the point guard to penetrate to the basket. Before long, it was 25-23 El Molino. Hmmmmmmmmmmmm.
After a couple of adjustments, we held a slight lead at the half. In the second half we focused in on pounding the ball inside. We were very successful and it wore out the opposing team, leading us to pull away near the end and finishing with the victory.
After the game, I went to the Varsity coach and told him that I recommended that my best player be moved up to Junior Varsity. His line tonight: 25 pts, 11 rebounds, 5 assists, 5 blocks. He's ready, and my guess is that he will be starting for them fairly soon. I'm of the opinion that the only reason that a person should move up is if they are going to start for the next team, period. This guy fits that mold. If he were to stay with me, he'd have been the best center I've ever coached.
This makes the season all the more interesting. At first, I thought I was going to be post reliant. Now I find myself more reliant on guard play, which I have no problem with.

Stay tuned.
blog comments powered by Disqus