Thursday, December 22, 2005

I "shop", local or not.

I had a massively irritating experience that makes me hate those jerks that complain about Wal-Mart causing businesses to close. Here is what is causing businesses to close.

After a very stressful school day and basketball practice, I went to a local store to by a Christmas gift for my wife. This store specializes in fancy kitchen and dining room junk, and massively overpriced "specialty" dish soaps and lotions. After the day, and looking to spend $25 on a bottle of lotion, I made my way to the register, where the guy was busy wrapping a gift. I stood patiently as the man struggled to get the dimensions of the gift correct, and then he rung me up. I used a credit card to pay, casually tossing it on the counter. The man behind the counter rang me up, I left, end of story.

Except that it wasn't. At the end of last week, a student told me that the man was totally insulted at "how rude he was, throwing the credit card at me". This was one of my students that works at that establishment who was told by that man that I was throwing my credit card at him, as if I used it like a ninja star and was looking to stab him in the throat. This is wrong on so many levels. First off, you don't complain about a teacher at the work place to a student. It is a tasteless to say the least. Second, you don't complain about big business invading taking your business, while you piss off customers.

Let me explain something to this local establishment (I'll keep it nameless because it doesn't deserve the plug), I bought your overpriced crap. Now shut-up. I don't want to hear one more complaint from anyone in that store about anything I've ever done in there because the only thing I have ever done is spend money. I have no problem spending money on my wife. I do have a problem with overpriced complainers whining about customers to students. I swear to God, I have a whole unit on Wal-Mart planned and I'll enjoy using your establishment as a perfect economic example of why Wal-Mart is good for America. Your store does plenty to keep local inflation high, not to mention the shoddy customer service that is a whole lot worse that that nice lady that greets me at the local Wal-Mart.

However, I'd be happy to recommend some local places to frequent because their service is excellent and their prices are very reasonable.

Oco Time- An excellent sushi restaurant in Ukiah. The service is excellent and the food is fresh. The best sushi I've had.

Dorsey's Auto Repair- You like a guy that can not only work on your car, but explain it to you in the process, and promise that he'll do the best work possible. Hell, an oil change becomes an education about your car. Excellent work by a group of guys that make you want to be loyal.


When it comes down to it, people will shop local if you give them a reason to. Otherwise, it is off to Wal-Mart.
blog comments powered by Disqus