Friday, September 23, 2005

If it's Friday, it's Volleyball!

When I first came to Ukiah High School, I found out that some of the Administration and a group of teachers had a weekly habit of showing up at 6 a.m. in the gym to play volleyball. It was ugly, but very fun and competitive. So I decided to join in the merry competition. Actually, I wanted to get in good with the Principal and the 2 Vice-Principals that frequented the games. Come on, what better chance than to let them beat on me for awhile. Hehe. That attitude was gone by the third week, when I started to realize that everyone really wanted good play, not slackers. Well, after three years, I stopped going. Last year, I missed the whole year. I decided to return to the courts this morning in an attempt to revive the juices. After all, I'm 6'2", fairly athletic, and I have a wicked serve. Overhand slider serve, baby! I'll have you on a yo-yo!
This afternoon, I remembered why I stopped going. I was totally wasted.
For some reason, I can't find the energy to finish a Friday after volleyball without crashing in the afternoon. Hell, I can teach all day and play 2 hours of hoops easy. Then I can teach the next day no problem. But morning volleyball just blasted me. So I need to decide about going back or not. I think it will depend on the work for the classes on Friday. I was really, really out of it 5th period, and I hate that feeling.
That's not to say the day wasn't good, because it really was.

Quote of the Day from an Intro student studying John Locke.

"I get it! Locke thought the strong guys would punk the weak ones, and the weak ones would get together to represent!"

Word!

Note to nerdy self, excellent job allowing yourself to become reacquainted with Battlestar Galactica. The new Sci-Fi Channel Battlestar Galactica is one of the best dramas on television, and the best science fiction series (with Lost) since The X-Files. Not corny, not hokey, but actually excellent writing and a cast that should be considered for an Emmy nomination down the road. Tonight's episode was one of the best television shows I've seen in awhile. It had dramatic moments that made you feel for the characters and took risks that were totally unexpected. Face it, Battlestar Galactica has depth! This was the end of the season and it will begin again in Janurary. Do this, rent Season One on DVD, and then watch the repeats of this second season on Sci-Fi. I would say that Season Two is even better than the first. Now that I've convinced the non-old school fans, the old school fans get their hook. Richard Hatch has a part in the series, and he does well. It is much better than the original, and I had serious doubts. And tonight they incorporated the return of the Pegasus, just like in the original series. Only, once again, it was much better. Watch it.
blog comments powered by Disqus