Sunday, September 11, 2005

I was in Discovery Bay, playing really bad golf.

So my wife's family invited us down to Discovery Bay in East Contra Costa county for a weekend of............well of something.
It actually started really badly, and I mean badly. I can't get into the specifics because that could make life difficult for me :) Let's just say that we left on Friday, made it to Discovery Bay by 8:30 p.m., were back in Ukiah at 12:30 Saturday morning, and finally made it back to Discovery Bay at around 9 a.m. Saturday. For your information, it takes 2 1/2 hours to go between Ukiah and Discovery Bay. Don't ask why, it isn't worth it.
However, the golf course I played in Discovery Bay is very worth mentioning. 15 out of the 18 holes had water and I managed to find the water on half of those 15. So I shot a 114. Believe it or not, I shot par on 3 holes, and had a 9 on three others. Damn pitching wedge was broken or something.
Other than that, her family played cards together on Saturday night. We played Texas Hold'em (I won $2, wife lost everything) and a multi-player solitaire style game called Nertz. I lost at Nertz to my wife's 13 year old niece, who is one of those perfect, cute as a button players that act innocent, then slit your throat at cards. By the end of the night, I was snarling.
Today we slowly worked our way back to Ukiah, stopping to buy some essentials along the way. The two highlights were BevMo, where we nailed a case of mixed cabs that will be laid down for future consumption, and Hot Topic, where I bought my "Vote for Pedro" t-shirt. It was my second stint to Hot Topic, and I highly recommend the experience to anyone who has nostalgia towards the 80's and 90's. My wife and I wished our pocketbooks were a little more fat as we leered over the Metallica jacket, Dark Side of the Moon t-shirt, and old Robotech DVDs. Ok, I leered over the old Robotech DVDs, my wife hung around the Napoleon talking keychain. I did have someone look at me like I didn't know what I was talking about when I said "Oh look, a 'Pretty Hate Machine' T-shirt" I didn't say anything, but I wanted to say, "I was listening to Nine Inch Nails when you were rolling around the floor, drooling on yourself you little prick." My teacher-esque morals won over and I just smiled. Kids these days.
blog comments powered by Disqus