Tuesday, May 03, 2005

Whine, Whine, Whine

I have my Seniors twice a day this week. Once during testing (Intro goes with a sub, but does my work assigned) and once for regular class. They get out of class about an hour later than usual and some end up deciding that it isn't worth it and cut.

Those that stay whine incessantly. By the amount they complain, you'd think that they were doing something that was actually difficult, if not impossible. Unfortunately, that means that STAR testing week becomes a much bigger emotional drain than other weeks. With tardies and cuts piling up, and students more into Prom, Senior Trip and Graduation parties than grades, the next few weeks are going to start becoming a study in patience and repetition. Two of my students came up to me this week after checking grades to find that they might actually fail and wanted to know what to do about it. My response? I recommended that you attend every class, that you complete all work, and focus on the Economics Expo (the final project). Other than that, I can't do anything for you at this late juncture of the semester. Then I hear the "my parents already sent out the graduation cards" and "my whole family is coming from the East Coast" speech. My response? I have no control over your grade. You do.

So with moving and the end of the year, it will get interesting.
blog comments powered by Disqus